Thursday, January 7, 2010

I have a disease...

I am not really sure what it is called, but maybe Fabric-itis. Or maybe a more accurate (humbling) diagnosis would be to say I have an addiction... to fabric. Thankfully its a legal addiction as far as I am aware. (Emelia did inform me this morning that it is illegal in Kentucky to have an ice cream cone in your pocket...) I love to walk into a fabric store and dream up the possibilities of what a particular set of prints could become. My beloved husband was the one who helped me to see this love sometime last year when he pointed out that I "like" to take pictures (a lot), but that it does stress me out when I do it as a "business", but that I love to sew and it does not stress me out. Wow, what an observation! Yes, it does not stress me out, except when I want to buy more than I should...


So, as I was reflecting on last year and looking forward to this new year I had to come to a point of confession. I have a lot of fabric and I am really not getting much sewed these days with all the homeschooling and just life. So, I decided I should make a master list of all the projects that I have fabric for and maybe make some sort of rule like, I can't buy more fabric unless I get x number of items completed. Well, with the length of my list, I probably should not buy fabric for several years... but I tell you it's my disease...

Part of me does not want to tell you how many items are on my list, but the other part wants to just so I can have some accountability out there. Maybe a support group, you know, like AA? Fabrics Anonymous, here we come! Yep, I have 73 items on my list and a list of 15 more chunks of various fabrics that don't have a specific project assigned to them. And what makes it worse is that many of the "projects" are not single items... it's it like, "sew Felicity costumes for Emelia and Hannah or sew bed skirts for their beds... I could not separate them out, that was just too depressing.

On the positive side, you will be happy to know that the fabric is all organized and stacked neatly in a nice shelving unit with doors. And now I have a master list, which I will prioritize and post in a prominent place. And another lady and I have started a monthly craft night at church and you can guess what I will be bringing each month. It works out great that there is a fabric night this Friday... hallelujah!

Here's a couple of things I finished for Christmas gifts recently. This is a quilt for Emelia's BFF who lives in Iowa. She loved it and Emelia did help with cutting and sewing a few squares. I still need to make matching pillow cases to send her, but these could be next years gift or for her birthday!
And my "little buddy" nephew got this cowboy quilt for his cowboy room. It is hard to see the prints, but the cowboy print was sooo adorable and the red fabric had little horse shoes all over it. I tried to do the quilting in a lasso design, which I think turned out pretty well.
I can't tell you what the agenda is for Friday's sewing, because some of you will be the recipients of Christmas gifts next year. I will try to post some pics of items as I complete them. Well, now it's on to the next item, sorting through the paper stack that grew huge over the lat two weeks of celebrating Christmas. So, now its your turn - what is your disease?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted to reading people's blogs! :)

The West Family said...

Oooh, at least that one does not cost moolah!

Brenda and Dan said...

I'm not sure what I am addicted to....I will have to think about that....maybe Rice Pudding :)

IRW Dana said...

Ok, I'll confess by addiction (scrapbooking)if I don't have to post how much paper I have. Or how much $$ all of this memory keeping actually costs. I can't say I'm the most frugal scrapbooker. But I do have fun.

about us

The West Ranch currently consists of Ted, head Rancher, Angela, Ted's right hand woman, and two busy little wranglers, Emelia and Hannah.