Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sewing Report

Yes, you have been wondering if I have been a good girl with my sewing, hugh? Well, yes, mostly I have been very good. We decided to move the home school room to the basement about two weeks ago since it was too much chaos in the dining room. I originally did not want to be in the basement and did not want to share my sewing room space. (Nice, she's 33 and has not learned to share!) But it has turned out to be a wonderful decision for many reasons. We do have two windows down there which lets in quite a bit of light during the day. We can turn the gas fireplace on which warms it up really quickly and makes for a very cozy school room. (Just like the olden days... one room school house with a fire!) It is much easier for certain students and teachers to concentrate down in the basement away from all of the other distractions (like sinks full of dirty dishes!). And the best reason for moving school to the basement... I am getting to sew! Wah-hoo!

What happens is when Emelia has a worksheet or something that requires her to work on her own, I leap over to my sewing desk and put the peddle to the metal! It may even be only a few seams I get done, but a stitch here and there and look at what I have completed: (okay, so some of this has been done in evenings when the chillins are in bed)

Finished two half done flannel bags
Finished an adorable mini diaper bag (girly colors)
Sewed 8 pouches for a certain birthday gift for a certain Father-in-law (hopefully he doesn't see this before his birthday!)
Sewed a mini quilt for Hannah's preschool play area (she has since retired from preschool, but that's another story and I have to keep my promise that I'd make the quilt!)
Sewed a mini pillow to match the quilt (just needs stuffing and its done!)
Almost finished with a tiered skirt I have had cut out for 2 years or so for myself
Started a baby boy quilt for a friends baby who will be born next week!
Finished sewing a small tablecloth for the play table in the girls room
Sewed a really fun flannel quilt for my biological father, who I just met last weekend for the first time in my life (another long story!)

So, are you proud? And the only fabric I have purchased is for the baby boy quilt for my friend, which I promise you was a need! How is it going with your new years goals?

In case you are curious about this quit I made for my bio father, you cut two 9 inch squares from flannel (cotton works too) and then a 7 inch square of batting. Place the batting in between the two pieces of flannel and sew an X across the four corners. Make a bunch of these and then sew them together in rows, making a 1 in seam with the raw edges facing up. Sew the rows together and then start clipping all the seams. (Don't forget to sew a one inch seam all the way around the outer edges too) Then wash the blanket (yes, wash it!) and be careful to make sure you watch when the water is draining (the pieces coming off the fabric from "fraying it" totally filled up my drain sock!). Then dry it on hot and check the lint trap often as well. It will turn into a chenille look on all the seams. Click on the pics to see better details of before and after.

The final product! Very fun, he loved it and now I want one for our three season porch or for a picnic blanket. But I'm out of flannel and better get some more projects on my list done first!


1 comments:

Brenda and Dan said...

Wow....you have been busy.....I love the quilt....you GO GIRL!!!! :)

about us

The West Ranch currently consists of Ted, head Rancher, Angela, Ted's right hand woman, and two busy little wranglers, Emelia and Hannah.