Thursday, September 23, 2010

Today Is...

Hannah started Kindergarten (Homeschool) this year and I wanted to make it fun by having a daily chart for her. I had seen one in a catalog that was much smaller than this one and planned to order it. However with shipping it was going to be almost 40 dollars... which is a lot these days, right?


Well, I happened to be perusing the dollar store in August when I came across these sets of cards that had the days of the week, months, etc. and then a sewing idea hit my mind... I wonder if I could make a chart myself for less? I went to JoAnn Fabrics and found red vinyl for the background and also bought clear vinyl to sew on pockets. The ladies there recommended using my widest stitch setting so as to not perforate the vinyl (great idea!) I used heavy upholstery thread and placed the pockets on with masking tape before sewing. I think my total cost was somewhere in the 13 to 15 dollar range and I'm super happy with how it turned out. Hannah loves her chart and is very proud to use change the cards daily and use the pointer to "read" it to me.I even had some vinyl left over for the monthly calendar and the 100's chart too!

1 comments:

Brenda and Dan said...

Very crafty and economical.....I love them!

about us

The West Ranch currently consists of Ted, head Rancher, Angela, Ted's right hand woman, and two busy little wranglers, Emelia and Hannah.