Thursday, September 23, 2010

12 Dollars!

I've always loved these sweet white canopies that you can put up for your girls rooms... secretly if I ever get to be a little girl again, I want one for my bed for sure! There's something magical about them... it just awakens the princess inside of me... (I guess she's probably been awake for years already...) Anyways, whenever I find them they don't seem particularly inexpensive, and buying two obviously doubles the cost... Until about a year ago I found these sheer netting curtains at Ikea for I think about 5 dollars for a set of two. I bought two sets and planned to surprise the girls by making them into canopies at some time. Well, about a year later and I finally get them done (quick before they don't want a princess room anymore!)All I did was bunch up the top of the curtains in my hand and tied a piece of elastic around the bunch, which created the "poof". I screwed a hook into the ceiling and hooked the elastic onto the hook. I had also found these spools of pretty ribbon in the dollar section at Target and bought two sets. The ribbons were kind of short, but I strung them through the elastic and like the bit of color it adds to the top anyways.
Here are the princesses waiting for their surprise...
I'm thinking they like their new canopies!
The bedding was also a deal... found at TJ Maxx and I made the matching throw blankets by cutting a sheet in half. All is well in princess land, except that Emelia says now she wants a funky green and purple room! Uff Dah! She may have to wait a few years for that wish to come true! So, in all I think this was a 12 dollar project (woo-hoo!) and now I can try to focus on getting buddy's room ready... While laying on the couch, right?! I promise I did not crawl into the attic today, and even am enforcing slave labor, having my children sweep floors and empty garbage cans...

2 comments:

Cristina said...

Very fun! I'm sure they totally love them. And it feels great to get another thing crossed off your list.

Brenda and Dan said...

I really like those.....maybe I can put one over the bed in the frog so when you sleep over you can feel like a "Princess" :)

about us

The West Ranch currently consists of Ted, head Rancher, Angela, Ted's right hand woman, and two busy little wranglers, Emelia and Hannah.